Date:      Fri, 07 Jun 1996 18:23:56 -0700
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@freebsd.org>
To:        Steve Reid <root@edmweb.com>
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: MD5 broken

In message <Pine.BSF.3.91.960607162222.175E-100000@bitbucket.edmweb.com>, Steve

>Sorry if I'm digging up a dead topic, but is everyone here aware that MD5
>has been broken?
>
>About a month ago, Hans Dobbertin showed that he could generate MD5
>collisions in just 10 hours on a Pentium PC.

Lets not get unduly worried here.

He has not generated "MD5 collissions".

He has generated "MD5 >pseudo< collisions".

He is using a different initial buffer than the one used in MD5, and
argues that he then has exposed a weakness in MD5.

He may have.  Could be.  It's not that interesting.

"Hey, if I substitute sugar for sand when I make a window it's much easier
to break the glass."  You think the insurrance people care ?

Until somebody comes up with a way of solving A = MD5(X) for some given
value of A then you don't need to worry to much.

Poul-Henning
whois: [PHK]                | phk@ref.tfs.com       TRW Financial Systems, Inc.
Future will arrive by its own means, progress not so.