Date:      Sun, 01 Oct 1995 23:13:13 -0700
From:      David Greenman <davidg@Root.COM>
To:        Network Coordinator <nc@ai.net>
Cc:        Jake Hamby <jehamby@lightside.com>, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, hackers@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: A moment in the life of ftp.cdrom.com

>> > The irony is that if we could only fit more than 128MB of memory into
>> > this beast we could do even more..  I wonder if anyone from Intel is
>> > listening?  Guys!  We need a decent motherboard with room for more
>> > memory, please! please! :-)
>
>What happened to the old motherboard with 192MB of RAM?

   Several things. First, the mix of disk controllers that was in the machine
would not work with the newer 4GB drives. In fact, they corrupted the contents.
This forced us to upgrade the controllers, and while I would have prefered
to have used all Buslogic 946C's, they would *not* cooperate. It was
impossible, in fact, to get more than one working at the same time. So I tried
to get the AHA-2940's working in it, and that wouldn't work either - the old
ASUS motherboard was not PCI 2.0 compliant and wouldn't work with plug-n-play
cards like the 2940. So we upgraded the motherboard (which was needed anyway
because the Neptune chipset only works with 2 PCI bus masters) and then found
that the Buslogics wouldn't work at all. So then I upgraded all of the disk
controllers to (3) AHA-2940's. This actually worked, but presented other minor
problems which we've been dealing with since (various bugs in the 2940 driver).
   Anyway, the new motherboard only supports 4 SIMMs. I've been unable to
find a Triton based MB that supports more than 4. Switching to some other
chipset really isn't an option at this point either - we need the memory speed
advantages of the Triton in order to keep up with all of the load.

-DG