Date:      Fri, 02 Jun 2000 13:26:57 -0600
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>, Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSDDEATH.c.txt (mmap dirty page no check bug)

At 10:08 AM 6/2/2000, Matthew Dillon wrote:

>   I put quotas on every partition users had access to at BEST, including
>    /tmp (100MB quota).  In fact, /tmp turned out to be the single most
>    important partition to put a quota on due to the sheer number of
>    programs that just assumed it would never fill up (and the sheer number
>    of bozo users who would use /tmp to unpack warez and never delete any
>    of it).

An interesting related point: By default, the current sysinstall doesn't
create a separate /tmp. It leaves /tmp as a directory in the rather small
root partition. An action as simple as downloading a large file via Lynx
(which downloads to /tmp and then moves files to a destination) is
enough to overflow the root partition.

Has thought been given to changing this? If not, perhaps it should be
submitted as a PR.

--Brett