Date:      Thu, 4 Apr 2024 07:49:56 +0200
From:      FreeBSD User <freebsd@walstatt-de.de>
To:        FreeBSD CURRENT <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>, freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   CVE-2024-3094: malicious code in xz 5.6.0 and xz 5.6.1

Hello,

I just stumbled over this CVE regarding xz 5.6.0 and 5.6.1:

https://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=CVE-2024-3094

FreeBSD starting with 14-STABLE seems to use xz 5.6.0, but my limited skills do not allow me
to judge wether the described exploit mechanism also works on FreeBSD.
RedHat already sent out a warning, the workaround is to move back towards an older variant.

I have to report to my superiors (we're using 14-STABLE and CURRENT and I do so in private),
so I would like to welcome any comment on that.

Thanks in advance,

O. Hartmann

--
O. Hartmann