Date:      Tue, 28 Sep 1999 18:04:45 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>
To:        tlambert@primenet.com (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        brett@lariat.org (Brett Glass), n@nectar.com, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Filtering port 25 (was Re: On hub.freebsd.org refusing to

> > Moreover, in order to detect an abusive pattern of mailing, you need
> > to have logging -- which you get when you channel users' mail through
> > your server.
>
> Transparent proxy, logging limited to not log potentially sensitive
> information, only traffic analysis; shortlived to make it useless
> to a court order.

Slippery slope, as a Carrier we have to retain such data, if collected
in the normal operation of our business for something like 3 years...
Things like data collected for billing records, protection of our
network, clients and connected carriers all has specific minimal legal
retention periods on it, with pretty stiff fines if you don't have it
when it is asked for.  Furthermore we have 48 hours to produce any of
this data when it is requested by court order so we have to manage
that massive pile carefully :-(.  Though we are allowed to charge a
small bounded fee for retreaving it, that fee no where near compensates
for the needed storage of such data, we have to pass that on to the
customer, and are allowed to under law.

--
Rod Grimes - KD7CAX - (RWG25)                    rgrimes@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net