Date:      Mon, 03 Apr 1995 00:17:39 +0100
From:      Gary Palmer <gary@palmer.demon.co.uk>
To:        Tom Samplonius <tom@haven.uniserve.com>
Cc:        -Vince- <vince@kbrown.oldcampus.yale.edu>, "Paul F. Werkowski" <pw@snoopy.MV.COM>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: /etc/printcap for Deskjet 500 and gs

In message <Pine.BSF.3.91.950402161735.2145A-100000@haven.uniserve.com>, Tom Sa
mplonius writes:
>  Been nice to have them lumped into an optional distribution, rather
>than to have to install each one separately, then cofigure each component
>to work with each other.

The whole point of apsfilter is that you only have to configure it, all
the rest work as shipped (or should do). It's also being looked at if we
can provide some nice front ends to the installation of some stuff so
that people can get a full system up very quickly and without having to
read a single man page, just answer some simple questions. That's why
(if you read the commit mail) there is all this work going on in /etc/rc*,
so that sysinstall (or son-of-sysinstall) can auto-configure the majority
of the system from a couple of menu prompts.

And I think (Jordan?) that if you are internet connected or installing off
the CDROM, you'll just have to pick them off a menu and they'll be
automatically installed (and possibly configured). This entire print
configuration system (i.e. /etc/printcap) probably needs re-evaluating,
as printcap is based on termcap, and termcap is not exactly the easiest
configuration file to use... (and we are looking at setting up something
where if you (for example) install tkined, you'll have tcl, tk, tcl-DP, etc
installed automatically rather than having to know that you need those
installed for it to work)

Gary