Date:      Mon, 7 May 2012 15:01:31 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Robert Bonomi <bonomi@mail.r-bonomi.com>
To:        bah@bananmonarki.se
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: kernel configuration file

Bernt Hansson <bah@bananmonarki.se> wrote:
> 2012-05-06 20:23, Robert Bonomi skrev:
>
> > Including *every* loadable module, whether or not you actually use it.
>
> That's not really true, at least not for me, and I have not made any
> changes to the build environment. The loadable module that I actually
> use is bktr.ko, that one among others does not get built.

I'd guess that bktr.ko is a 'third-party' module, found in a port, and not
part of the base system.

I found that every loadable kernel module in the base system is, or at least
"was", rebuilt.  I haven't used make buildkernel in several years -- I use
a 'monolithic' kernel, with everything compiled in, and loadable modules
disabled.  That way I always know _exactly_ what cabilities exist, and
what security holes I _don't_ have to worry about.