Date:      Mon, 13 Dec 2021 18:53:20 +0100
From:      Holm Tiffe <holm@freibergnet.de>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   13-stable, later adding geli disk with the same passphrase as

bootdisk
Hi all,
I hope here is still someone listening..

I have a new installed FreeBSD 13-stable machine with an
zfs raidz1 over fours sas disks configured at installtime
with geli.
Now I want to add 2 additional SATA disks as raid0 for data storage in
striped configuration, encrypted with geli also.

$ gpart show ada0
=>        40  1953525088  ada0  GPT  (932G)
          40  1952448512     1  freebsd-zfs  (931G)
  1952448552     1076576        - free -  (526M)

ada1 is the same, geli devices configured as stripe
 zpool status
  pool: zrdata
 state: ONLINE
config:

        NAME          STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
        zrdata        ONLINE       0     0     0
          ada0p1.eli  ONLINE       0     0     0
          ada1p1.eli  ONLINE       0     0     0

So far so good.

But how can I manage that I doesn't get asked a 2nd time for the geli
passphrase for the 2nd disks? How can I use the same credentials that
are used for the primary disk pool?
I know that is the case if I init all the geli disks at the same time,
but this isn't possible because I'm loosing all my data at this moment.
The data have to live somewhere at transition time from one computer to
the another and I want to reuse the SATA disks.
I've tried to add -bg to geli configure, this makes no difference,
besides of the fact that there is no bootable partition on those 2
disks.

Can someone pls. help here?

Regards,

Holm

         Goethestrasse 15, 09569 Oederan, USt-Id: DE253710583
info@tsht.de Fax +49 37292 709779 Tel +49 37292 709778 Mobil: 0172 8790 741