Date:      Sun, 11 Jan 2004 13:12:12 -0600
From:      Lute Mullenix <lute@cableone.net>
To:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: BSD Unix vs. Linux

On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 09:06:03 -0500
"Russell Dickson" <birdcarry@webwingsnet.com> insisted:

> Mazen,
>
> As I understand it, a Unix equivalent was developed and
> eventually discarded due to security problems in the core
> architecture the couldn't be fixed.  A man name Linus resumed
> work and named it Linux, although the security problems were
> still there.

Actually no, Linus Torvalds with the help of a few others
developed Linux from the ground up. This was because
he was not able to find a *nix type OS that fit his needs at the
time. As for the security problems, well I guess a while back
they did discover some code which "could" present a security
problem, but it was quickly fixed. Linux is a very stable, very
secure *nix type OS, the big difference is in the design
philosophy. BSD has traditionally used a monolithic kernel,
where Linux was designed to be more modular.

> BSD began as an idea of AT&T, who couldn't actually do it due
> to anti-trust problems so they supported the efforts of
> Berkley.  That began in 1976. BSD is fashioned very close to
> commercial Unix and, as explained to me, is almost an exact
> clone with only minor differences.

UNIX belongs to AT&T, they developed it and it has been in use
for years. Berkley was the ones who got their hands slapped for
borrowing code and then gave up development. The BSDs, FreeBSD,
NetBSD, OpenBSD etc. picked up this code, made the needed
changes and have continued development in line with their own
individual visions of what it should be.

> BSD has the security, the basic structure is completely not
> crackable. It can only be compromised after other items are
> added, FrontPage extensions is the worst.  I have a public web
> server run by a guy with 24 years of hacking Unix and BSD that
> has seen 13 months with daily attempts to crack it, so far
> without success.  Zero compromises.  I'm convinced!

Impressive, but the fact is as BSD becomes more popular and the
user base expands (ie, we get more bad guys taking note of us)
it may turn out that there are more security flaws than
originally thought.

> This turned into a "who's better" message but I don't know of
> another way to explain it.  I guess the direct answer is the
> core of the kernel architectures are different.  The other
> part of your question is, those that study and really know,
> like Apple, Yahoo and others, don't use Linux. Sometimes
> people will use only what they have been educated on.  It's
> partly human nature.  The real champs will find what's best
> then modify their education.

Apples decision had more to do with licensing than "who is
better". You also find a pretty impressive list of "Biggies"
using Linux, IBM, Novell, Sun, ever heard of those guys?

As far as who is better, I would have to say depends on what you
want to do. For web servers, routers and the like, BSD may have
an advantage, it has proved to be somewhat more secure than
Linux. But here again, Linux has a much larger user base, so
more crazies out there looking at it. For the desktop I would
have to give Linux the advantage. As it will run Netscape,
OpenOffice, and WordPerfect natively. I have found that a lot of
the time the apps I use are a newer version than what my brother
has for his Debian install, however Java and Flash actually work
on his setup.

> If you haven't read the BSD history on the FreeBSD site, it's
> interesting.

Yes it is.

> Russell Dickson

By the way, Unix is a trade name that belongs to AT&T which is
why it's usually type *nix, indicating a Unix like OS.

As to the original question, why do we need Linux? Maybe we
don't. But do we need FreeBSD when there's SCO and other Unix
like OS out there. And do we really NEED three BSD variants? The
best answer I can come up with is different people like
different things, and choice is good. I used Linux for some
time, but moved to FreeBSD. This was not because I see Linux as
some grossly flawed OS that was all but unusable, it is because
I like the way the ports collection works.

--
 Lute

*   Power Provided     *
*         by           *