Date:      Sun, 20 Aug 2000 21:23:06 -0500
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: your mail

Kris Kennaway writes:
> On Sat, 19 Aug 2000, Marius Bendiksen wrote:
>
> > > If FreeBSD migrates to additional architectures, how much of its
> > > `goodness' will translate directly to other platforms??  Moreover, how
> > > much future effort and talent will be diverted into porting efforts rather
> > > than single platform perfection??  One must always trade off optimal
> > > platform performance for the sake of portability!
> >
> > The issue here is also how many platforms, and what kind, you port to.
> > Porting to the UltraSPARC is different from trying to backport to a 6502
> > with a ram extender.
>
> Hey, I'd love to run FreeBSD on my Apple IIe! :-)

Saw an Apple //e today at a hamfest. Beleive the seller had to take it
home with no takers at $35 for the Monitor ][ and 2 floppies. There was
also a table with a //gs for about the same price.

I think it would be easier to port to the //gs as its memory model is
better. But if I remember right my //gs's 20MB HD thruput was only
20k/sec.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net