Date:      Sun, 30 Oct 2022 10:41:40 +0100
From:      Ralf Mardorf <ralf-mardorf@riseup.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Gimp 2.10 crashes on text

Hi,

I strongly recommend to migrate to another app. Gimp became more and
more worse within the last years and it will not become better. Gimp is
one of the apps with a mailing list hosted at gnome.org. All gnome.org
mailing list are discontinued end of this month. It was announce by the
GNOME foundation 11 days before the lists shut down, just the Vogons
announced it in Alpha Centauri or somewhere else earlier, but nobody
noticed this announcement. The replacement is the most odd instance of a
Discourse forum I've ever seen. It seemingly does use any kind of
gamification available and the GNOME's Discourse mailing list feature is
breaking with all common mailing list rules + it also suffers from
gamification. Have you already seen a gtk4 app? I'm using a rolling
Linux release and I've already seen several gtk4 apps. Soon or later
Gimp will use gtk4, too.

If you need an app for drawing pixel graphic, try to migrate to Krita.
If you need it for photo editing, there are anyway better apps available
offering Lensfun, too, see https://lensfun.github.io/usage/ .

I migrated a long time ago away from Gimp to other FLOSS, as well as
proprietary apps. At first I was annoyed by the changes done to the Gimp
user interface and finally I experienced that JPEGs exported by Gimp
aren't compatible anymore with a lot of other apps on planet earth.

The migration from Gimp to Krita on a FLOSS operating system isn't easy,
it's an annoyance, but on the long run it's worth the trouble. A
migration to related apps on Apple (and probably Windows) machines is a
pleasure from the very first minute. I can only comment on Apple, not on
Windows.

FWIW if you will stay with Gimp and you want help by the Gimp community,
too, but you can't stand gamificaion, an alternative unofficial mailing
list does already exist, https://groups.io/g/gimp-users .

Regards,
Ralf

PS: It's no surprise that Evolution and other GNOME-ish apps are
affected by the mailing list issue, too, however, even apps unrelated to
GNOME are affected, at least the Midnight Commander mailing list is
hosted on a GNOME mailing list server, too.