Date:      Mon, 6 Apr 1998 10:26:46 -0700 (PDT)
From:      David Wolfskill <dhw@whistle.com>
To:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BSD Utopia?  (Cool BSD history lesson in a nutshell)

>Date: Fri, 03 Apr 1998 17:08:04 -0800
>From: Joey Garcia <bear@pacificnet.net>

>(that's my interpretation of it - these guys took the code,
>added what was missing in order to run, enhanced it to run on certain
>architectures, and then arrived at a working stable OS) Am I on the right
>track?

That's essentially my perception, yes.

Mind you, CSRG had been fairly actively (with intensity increasing in
later years) working on replacing AT&T code with independently-
implemented code donated by others.  My recollection is that as of the
4.3 Reno release, there was about 15 - 20% AT&T code; as of Net/2, it
was something more like 5% (or less) -- and a significant chunk of that
was in the code used to boot the system.  4.4Lite, I believe, was just
about everything *except* the critical parts needed to boot.

Cheers,
david
--
David Wolfskill		dhw@whistle.com	(650) 577-7158	pager: (650) 401-0168