Date:      Thu, 22 Aug 1996 12:56:28 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Michael Dillon <michael@memra.com>
To:        Craig Shrimpton <craigs@OS.COM>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Anyone using ccd (FreeBSD disk striper) for news

On Thu, 22 Aug 1996, Craig Shrimpton wrote:

> Is anyone using the disk concatenator for FreeBSD on a news spool?  It looks
> like it can dramatically increase performance but seems a little "hairy" to
> setup.

I'd like to know this too because I'm going through an exercise right now
helping a provider build a more stable and effective fullfeed news server
than what they have. The cost of RAID is a bit steep for this provider and
as a result we've been leaning towards Linux with md.

There are a few things about FreeBSD that I don't understand well enough
right now. One of them is software RAID striping and it sounds like ccd
does this? Another one is whether FreeBSD supports MMAP.

And then there is the whole NNRPD shared active thingy.

There have already been a couple of messages that make me think FreeBSD
might be the better choice of OS here. Since running an effective fullfeed
USENET news server is getting harder and harder these days I'm sure that
there are others who would welcome hearing about how it is done.

Michael Dillon                   -               ISP & Internet Consulting
Memra Software Inc.              -                  Fax: +1-604-546-3049
http://www.memra.com             -               E-mail: michael@memra.com