Date:      Sun, 04 May 1997 01:06:21 -0400
From:      fbsd-isp@launchpad.win.net (Joe Mays - freebsd-isp)
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: News...

>Doing some user logging, info gathering, just to get some numbers
>should not be all the difficult.  Would be good to see what percentage
>of a typical ISP's news customers are spending what percentage of their
>time on the which groups.  Then, you can assign a dollar value to it,
>and weigh that against the cost of defending yourself from prosecution,
>etc.You could also mesure the total bandwidth that those customers use,
>and weigh that against the other users.

You keep talking about the cost of defending yourself against
prosecution.  Can you offer me an estimate of the amount of
dollars spent by ISP's to defend themselves against prosecution for
carrying binary groups thus far?  In my experience, the amount of
dollars we have spent on legal defense for carrying whatever comes
down the usenet pipe is approximately $0.

This aspect of your argument seems specious to me.

Joe Mays