Date:      Tue, 22 Aug 2023 13:59:02 +0200
From:      Mario Marietto <marietto2008@gmail.com>
To:        Trenton Schulz <trenton@norwegianrockcat.com>
Cc:        Felix Palmen <zirias@freebsd.org>, emulation@freebsd.org, ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Building a Linuxulator userland from source

--000000000000c76177060381bab6

CentOS has been replaced already successfully with Ubuntu and Devuan. On
the FreeBSD forums there are a couple of nice tutorials. BTW if we can use
even different user lands,we will be even happier.

On Tue, Aug 22, 2023 at 1:04=E2=80=AFPM Trenton Schulz <trenton@norwegianro=
ckcat.com>
wrote:

> Felix Palmen <zirias@freebsd.org> writes:
>

> > I assume/hope that's a minor risk. /usr/local is not in the
> > standard
> > search paths of the toolchain, so, must be added explicitly. A
> > build
> > system doing that without being requested to do so would be
> > pretty much
> > broken. Furthermore, the toolchain is built
> > --with-sysroot=3D/compat/linux
> > so prepends that to all the system search paths.
> >
> > Configure scripts finding *tools* in FreeBSD's /usr/local
> > *might* be a
> > risk. Not an issue building with poudriere (the build jail will
> > only
> > have what we want), but maybe an issue when someone builds the
> > ports in
> > a live system.
> >
> > Well, we will see :) At least, I already have the first ports
> > building
> > fine using shell and make from the Linux userland, e.g. here:
> >
> https://github.com/Zirias/zfbsd-ports/blob/linux/sysutils/linux-man-db/Ma=
kefile

> This is really fascinating work, and I see value in this even if
> some other way of doing things eventually replaces the Centos-7 items.
>
> Some of this has a bit of overlap with Gentoo prefix
> (https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Prefix), where one puts the
> bare bones of a Gentoo distro under a "prefix" (for example,
> /compat/linux), but then you can use Gentoo's portage
> infrastructure to build the other parts of the system.
>
> I imagine, you are maybe thinking of your own set of linux-* in
> the ports tree, but this might also be useful area to borrow from?
>
> Anyway, I'll lurk back into the shadows to see how this develops.
>
> Best regards,
>
> --
> Trenton

--=20
Mario.

--000000000000c76177060381bab6

and Devuan. On the FreeBSD forums there are a couple of nice tutorials. BTW=
 if we can use even different user lands,we will be even happier. <br></div=
e, Aug 22, 2023 at 1:04=E2=80=AFPM Trenton Schulz &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:tre=
nton@norwegianrockcat.com" target=3D"_blank">trenton@norwegianrockcat.com</=
a>&gt; wrote:<br></div><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0p=
x 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex"><b=
r>
Felix Palmen &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:zirias@freebsd.org" target=3D"_blank">zi=
rias@freebsd.org</a>&gt; writes:<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; I assume/hope that&#39;s a minor risk. /usr/local is not in the <br>
&gt; standard<br>
&gt; search paths of the toolchain, so, must be added explicitly. A <br>
&gt; build<br>
&gt; system doing that without being requested to do so would be <br>
&gt; pretty much<br>
&gt; broken. Furthermore, the toolchain is built <br>
&gt; --with-sysroot=3D/compat/linux<br>
&gt; so prepends that to all the system search paths.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Configure scripts finding *tools* in FreeBSD&#39;s /usr/local <br>
&gt; *might* be a<br>
&gt; risk. Not an issue building with poudriere (the build jail will <br>
&gt; only<br>
&gt; have what we want), but maybe an issue when someone builds the <br>
&gt; ports in<br>
&gt; a live system.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Well, we will see :) At least, I already have the first ports <br>
&gt; building<br>
&gt; fine using shell and make from the Linux userland, e.g. here:<br>
&gt; <a href=3D"https://github.com/Zirias/zfbsd-ports/blob/linux/sysutils/l=
inux-man-db/Makefile" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">https://github.c=
om/Zirias/zfbsd-ports/blob/linux/sysutils/linux-man-db/Makefile</a><br>
This is really fascinating work, and I see value in this even if <br>
some other way of doing things eventually replaces the Centos-7 items.<br>
Some of this has a bit of overlap with Gentoo prefix <br>
(<a href=3D"https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Prefix" rel=3D"noreferrer"=
 target=3D"_blank">https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Prefix</a>), where =
one puts the <br>
bare bones of a Gentoo distro under a &quot;prefix&quot; (for example, <br>
/compat/linux), but then you can use Gentoo&#39;s portage <br>
infrastructure to build the other parts of the system.<br>
I imagine, you are maybe thinking of your own set of linux-* in <br>
the ports tree, but this might also be useful area to borrow from?<br>
Anyway, I&#39;ll lurk back into the shadows to see how this develops.<br>
Best regards,<br>
-- <br>
Trenton<br>
iv>