Date:      Wed, 10 Sep 1997 14:59:38 +0200
From:      Mats Lofkvist <mal@algonet.se>
To:        se@freebsd.org
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: lousy disk perf. under cpu load (was IDE vs SCSI)

   Hmmm, you got all your PCI disk and LAN cards on
   IRQ 10, which means there are three cards sharing
   interrupts. The VGA is on IRQ 11, and it should
   not really cause interrupts ...

   Could you try to assign different IRQs to fxp0, ncr0
   and ahc0 ?

   Shared interrupts should just work, and there should
   not be a measurable impact on performance, but this
   is the only thing that seems special in your system.

   Regards, STefan

Reassigning interrupts doesn't seem to be as easy as I hoped :-(

I have an Intel Providence motherboard with the ahc and fxp
builtin (on pci) and an separate ncr for the narrow devices.
I haven't been able to figure out how to change the interrupts,
can't find anything in the bios letting me set them explicitly.
(Setting plug-n-play to "bios" mode only lets me reserve irq's
used by non-pnp cards, not reassign anything on pci. With pnp in
the "pnp os" mode nothing can be changed.)

Any ideas?

      _
Mats Lofkvist
mal@algonet.se