Date:      Wed, 25 Sep 2002 15:37:44 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "J.F. Noonan" <jfn@msc.com>
To:        Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@alcatel.com.au>
Cc:        <freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG>, <Andrew.Li@alcatel.com.au>
Subject:   Re: ISDN Modems

On Tue, 27 Aug 2002 at 4:25pm Peter Jeremy wrote:

> I have several Eicon Diva 852 ISDN modems[1] that I'm trying to build
> a PPP link with (one modem is dial-out and one is dial-in).
> Unfortunately, the dial-in side is very flaky - most of the time, the
> dial-in modem refuses to answer (and reports BUSY).  Eicon's response
> is that the modems work with Windows - and I suspect this means that
> the auto-answer capability is rarely (if ever) used.
>
> Has anyone else used these modems?  Successfully with auto-answer?

I have not used their standalone modems, but I used one of their
all-in-one modem/router/hubs and had exactly the same problem.
It worked fine for dialout, but was incredibly flakey doing
dialin.  Like the answer you got, they did not consider this to be
a problem even though the manual claimed you could hang a FAX
machine off of the analog port on the back.  I guess for sending
faxes only.  I would never buy Diva anything again.

--

Joseph F. Noonan
Rigaku/MSC Inc.