Date:      Tue, 13 Dec 2022 09:01:30 -0500
From:      Robert Simmons <rsimmons0@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Procmail Version

--00000000000036a6e805efb60f20

That's great, thanks for the pointer.

I read in the commit message the following:
    As this upstream is in active development and the original procmail on
    sourceforge is defunct, we may wish to consider merging or replacing
    mail/procmail with this port at some point.

I have a few thoughts. This does not appear to be a fork. It looks like a
new version hosted on Github. The author updated the copyright and I looked
at older READMEs from pre-2001 and the author's email is the same as
today, srb [@] cuci[.]nl. I have not sent an email to this email address,
but the MX SMTP greeting is quite similar to the username of the entity who
is checking in the new updates: "ESMTP Postfix (Cubic Circle/BuGless)".

Is the reasoning behind calling this a fork and not a new version because
the identity of the entity checking in updates on the Github repo cannot be
confirmed?

On Tue, Dec 13, 2022 at 2:16 AM Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@leidinger.net>
wrote:

> Quoting Robert Simmons <rsimmons0@gmail.com> (from Mon, 12 Dec 2022
> 18:22:27 -0500):
>
> There is a new version of procmail. Is updating the FreeBSD port to the
> new 3.24 a good idea?
>
> https://github.com/BuGlessRB/procmail/releases
>

> Have a look at $PORTSDIR/mail/procmail-bgrb/
>
> Bye,
> Alexander.
>
> http://www.Leidinger.net Alexander@Leidinger.net: PGP 0x8F31830F9F2772BF
> http://www.FreeBSD.org    netchild@FreeBSD.org  : PGP 0x8F31830F9F2772BF

--00000000000036a6e805efb60f20

iv>I read in the commit message the following:</div><div>=C2=A0 =C2=A0 As t=
his upstream is in active development and the original procmail on<br>=C2=
=A0 =C2=A0 sourceforge is defunct, we may wish to consider merging or repla=
k. It looks like a new version hosted on Github. The author updated the cop=
yright and I looked at older READMEs from pre-2001 and the author&#39;s ema=
il is the same as today,=C2=A0srb [@] cuci[.]nl. I have not sent an email=
=C2=A0to this email address, but the MX SMTP greeting is quite similar to t=
he username of the entity who is checking in the new updates: &quot;ESMTP P=
ing behind calling this a fork and not a new version because the identity o=
f the entity checking in updates on the Github repo cannot be confirmed?</d=
r">On Tue, Dec 13, 2022 at 2:16 AM Alexander Leidinger &lt;<a href=3D"mailt=
left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex"><u></u>

=3D"_blank">rsimmons0@gmail.com</a>&gt; (from Mon, 12 Dec 2022 18:22:27 -05=
00):</p>
t:12px" type=3D"cite">
D port to the new 3.24 a good idea?
blank">https://github.com/BuGlessRB/procmail/releases</a></div>;
Have a look at $PORTSDIR/mail/procmail-bgrb/<br>
Bye,<br>
Alexander.<br>
inger.net</a> <a href=3D"mailto:Alexander@Leidinger.net" target=3D"_blank">=
Alexander@Leidinger.net</a>: PGP 0x8F31830F9F2772BF<br>