Date:      Sun, 19 Nov 2000 22:34:07 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Eric I. Arnoth" <earnoth@plato.arnoth.net>
To:        "Michael C . Wu" <keichii@peorth.iteration.net>
Cc:        mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: kernel sound support on Toshiba Satellite

Michael:

Thanks much for your tips.  I commented out all the USB stuff at the
bottom, and used just the pcm device.  My kernel compiled beautifully, and
I'm running it now.  I just need help on two more points, if you (or
anyone else) please(s).

> Simply the following line is sufficient:
> device pcm
Now that I've done this, I get the following errors when trying to use
sound:

unable to open /dev/mixer
Can't open /dev/dsp

I tried to create both devices, but for each one, I get:
plato# sh ./MAKEDEV /dev/dsp
/dev/dsp - no such device name
plato# sh ./MAKEDEV /dev/mixer
/dev/mixer - no such device name

Are those devices (dsp & mixer) links to other devices?  If so, what are
the FreeBSD devices which I need to link them to?

> To resolve the usb issue, cvsup with tag=RELENG_4, build/installworld
> and build the new kernel with the new config.
The thing I'm confused about here is that I did cvsup last weekend, and
build/installed world then.  I followed the handbook explicity (I was
amazed at how relatively easy it was).  While I have a USB port, I'm not
using it, but would like to.  Any idea why it wouldn't work even though
I'm successfully tracking Stable?

Thanks again for your help.

-Eric