Date:      Mon, 20 Apr 1998 07:15:36 +1000
From:      Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
To:        Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Newbies resources - please check

On Sun, Apr 19, 1998 at 12:13:38PM -0700, Annelise Anderson wrote:
> Looks good!
>
> The correct name of the newsgroup is comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc, if
> we're talking about the same one.

Oops... thanks, fixed. My access to news has fizzled out again so I can't
check this time :-(

> You might want to extend the list of newgroups even further, noting
> that there are newsgroups for various software.  There's a newsgroup
> for newsreaders, for pine, for shells (comp.unix.shells, I think) and
> so forth, as well as newsgroups for programming languages, hardware,
> and so forth.
>
> The newuser tutorial is also available at
> http://andrsn.stanford.edu/newuser.html, and
> by anonymous ftp in either postscript or rich text format at
> ftp andrsn.stanford.edu in the pub directory, which are good for
> printing.
>
> Finally, it would be useful to have a description of where to go
> (maybe the answer is as simple as the tutorial; I'm not sure) to
> get the information on configuring ppp.  This seems to be something
> virtually everyone needs to do and it is the MFAQ--the most
> frequently asked question.

Thanks, good points which I'll follow up.

The original intention was to have three concise sections separating
FreeBSD, UNIX and X, a distinction which is not obvious to newbies.
So far I haven't found enough really beginner level material to put an X
section together, so that has been left for the next round.
Under FreeBSD, two specific areas that clearly need more pointers are
installation and ppp. They too are in the pipeline.

Whether that means it should expand into more than one page, I'm not
sure. At the moment I see it as a comfortable length to orient very new
users to the main kinds of info available at their level, with plenty of
scope for input from newbies (as well as non-newbies). This is not the
kind of document that will ever be "finished" :-)

Right now I'm wondering whether I should be spending my time learning
things like SGML and diff, or organising more content, or just getting it
up there so updates can be guided by how it is used.

--

Regards,
        -*Sue*-

find / -name "*.conf" |more