Date:      Sun, 14 Jul 2002 17:23:01 -0700 (PDT)
From:      rik <freebsd@rikrose.net>
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   misc/40577: post-October 2001 Dell Inspiron 2500's (and possibly others) crash on boot of GENERIC kernel

>Number:         40577
>Category:       misc
>Synopsis:       post-October 2001 Dell Inspiron 2500's (and possibly others) crash on boot of GENERIC kernel
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
Dell Inspirons are wired in such a way that the sound card probe at boot time locks up the machine. This makes it difficult to install FreeBSD
>How-To-Repeat:
Boot from kern.flp
>Fix:
Include the pcm driver in a kernel build. I made a boot floppy by removing SCSI support and and unneeded NIC support from GENERIC, and adding the pcm driver. This kernel was then gzipped and the kern.flp image changed to include this kernel.