Date:      Mon, 08 Apr 2002 12:44:45 -0400
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
To:        jmmills@telocity.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Hello, some 'newbie-Q'

>Hello -
>
>I am going through startup on a FreeBSD system which I plan to use as my
>mail server. I'm sure I will burden this list a bit, and I appreciate your
>patience.
>
>I come from about 8 years of using Linux, and expect I my questions will
>have a strong "Linux accent" for a while.
>
>I installed the FreeBSD-4.0 which comes with R.Blum's _Running_qmail_ book
>and have basic system, X11, and net functions. I plan to remove that
>version and restart with the -4.5 CD's I downloaded from the FreeBSD
>server, before investing too much work in an outdated version. If my
>questions have different answers with 4.5, that would be great to know.
>
>So, those first questions:
>Q1) I see from my 'GENERIC' kernel configuration file (and the FreeBSD
> _Bible_) that I may not have my IDE controllers working on an interrupt
> basis. (Program startup does seem a bit ... er ... "leisurely.")
>
> Do I have to rebuild the kernel to change the IDE controllers' "flags=",
> or can this be configured at boot with the 4.0/GENERIC kernel image I've
> got? If I can keep the current kernel, can I make IDE interrupt-mode
> automatic on reboot?

IDE interface is much improved in 4.5, reinstall and see how much nicer
things are.

>Q2) I wish to use 'ssh' for my net login, and I hit a couple of bumps
> installing it.

ssh is built into the base system as of 4.1.1, you don't need to install
a port.  Look at the
man page for rc.conf where it explains the startup for ssh.
Installing 4.5 will give you a more recent version of ssh.
I think you'll find life a good bit easier if you just install the 4.5
cds and start there,
things continue to improve!

Sounds like you're on the right track.

-Bill