Date:      Thu, 28 Jan 1999 16:57:45 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
Cc:        FreeBSD Chat <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>, Yana Lehey <yana@lemis.com>
Subject:   Re: Back to school

On Thursday, 28 January 1999 at 17:11:24 +1100, Sue Blake wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 28, 1999 at 04:22:46PM +1030, Greg Lehey wrote:
>> My daughter has just gone back to school after the summer break.  She
>> brought back a sheet of paper today with various hints on how to use
>> their Microsoft system.  One thing I found particularly interesting:
>>
>>   * Deleting a file is simple.  Right click on the Start button and
>>     choose Explore.
>>
>>   * Scroll down to the Network Neighbourhood.  Navigate your way to
>>     the folder as before.
>>
>>   * Move the mouse on to the file you want to change and right click.
>>     You can now delete or rename the file.
>>
>> Is there something wrong with me to think that this is more
>> complicated than `rm file'?
>
> I don't know. You decide :-)
>
>    * Deleting a file is simple.  Left click on the root window and
>      choose xterm.

You should have one open if you're using the machine.

>    * Give that xterm the focus (either by moving the mouse over it
>      or left clicking on it) and type 'locate filename'.

This is a more detailled level than that of the original.  And if you
want to delete a file, you don't need to use locate.  With the method
described in the info sheet, you have no choice.

>    * If that doesn't work you might need to create your locate
>      database. One way is to su to root and run /etc/weekly.
>      Otherwise, study the man page for locate.

Again, not needed.  Anyway, this is a system administration task which
the students aren't allowed to perform.

>    * When you have discovered the full path of the file,
>      type 'rm path/filename'.

Right.  You need to do this.

>    * If there are no problems with permissions, the command should
>      succeed, in which case you will see no acknowledgement.
>      If you need to change the permissions, type 'man chmod' and
>      study for a while. If you need to change the owner, the command
>      to study is chown but you'll need to su before you can use it.

Not handled in the original sheet.  I hope so, anyway: what happens if
one student wants to delete somebody else's files?

>    * When you have deleted the file, close iconise or leave the xterm,
>      right click on the root window, and select the program you are
>      working with.

No, leave it open.  You're not using X correctly.

>    * If you are not using fvwm2 with Sue's fvwm2rc of December 1998,
>      the above instructions will need to be modified. Consult your
>      window manager's man page to learn how to read its config file, to
>      find out how menus, etc, if they exist, can be activated.

Again, outside the scope of the discussion.

I can see you're trying to be the devil's advocate here, but it
doesn't really fit.

Greg