Date:      Mon, 27 Jan 2003 20:32:10 +0200
From:      Willie Viljoen <will@unfoldings.net>
To:        Michael Lucas <mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org>
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Project to improve FreeBSD PR

On Monday 27 January 2003 20:16, Michael Lucas wrote:
> Just my $0.02.
>
> I would also recommend either using DN's site, or using one of the
> existing FreeBSD news sites if the goal is to create a site to handle
> news.
>
> A long time ago, a group of people decided to start a FreeBSD advocacy
> project.  They went off and started DN.  Now, DN does some good
> things, but they don't accomplish general FreeBSD advocacy.
>
> We have sites that list articles, i.e., www.freebsd.org/news.  What's
> needed is for people to submit patches to that page.
>
> Please, let's not reinvent the wheel.  I don't want to squash anyone's
> enthusiasm, really, but what we need are solid advocacy materials to
> hand to wanna-be advocates, not Yet Another PHP-based News Posting
> Board.  Writing those things is fun, but it's not what needs to be
> done.  :-(

Not entirely what I had in mind.. :)

I bought freebsdnews.org earlier today, so we can do with it what we like=
 once=20
we get it up. I was thinking more of a news site on the periphery though,=
 not=20
a central news agency, ie, something with longer articles specifically ab=
out=20
FreeBSD, ie, indepth looks at releases, interviews with (or letters from)=
=20
developers, that sort of stuff, which the printed news papers, rather tha=
n=20
the PHP posting forums, will run, and ofcourse a headlines page, wich wou=
ld=20
pretty much just be a mirror of freebsd.org/news (if people start botheri=
ng=20
to use it, which we'll also try to promote)

We'll see what happens, for the moment, it won't be going up before Feb. =
14=20
anyway, work (or overwhelming workload) issues here have forced me to pus=
h it=20
back abit (sigh)

> =3D=3Dml
>
> On Mon, Jan 27, 2003 at 10:31:12AM -0700, Anthony C. Chavez wrote:
> > I'm going to stick my neck out here and (again) recommend that you
> > consider using the advcoacy page at Daemon News:
> >
> > http://advocacy.daemonnews.org/
> >
> > DN's goal is to represent not just FreeBSD, but the BSDs in general.
> >
> > The site is dead at the moment, but IMO, it would be an ~excellent~
> > choice to house this project.  We (rather, I) had actually planned to
> > put something together within the next few months, anyway.
> >
> > What does everyone think?
> >
> > --
> > Anthony Chavez                             http://www.anthonychavez.o=
rg/
> > mailto:acc@anthonychavez.org         jabber:acc@jabber.anthonychavez.=
org

> > On Mon, Jan 27, 2003 at 03:32:18PM +0200, Willie Viljoen=20
<will@unfoldings.net> wrote:

> > > Register :)
> > >
> > > I'm planning to get freebsdnews.org later today once some people re=
turn
> > > some e-mails, but it will be specifically for links to news article=
> > > and release announcements and such things, no reason we can't link =
the
> > > two sites though, create a sort of BSD web ring like OSDN have done
> > > with
> > > slashdot/freshmeat/sourceforge etc :)

> > > That would be great, I think we've got DNS and mail mostly sorted, =
but
> > > some more WWW mirrors are always appreciated, I'll let you knowf

> > > --
> > > Willie Viljoen
> > > Freelance IT Consultant
> > >
> > > 214 Paul Kruger Avenue, Universitas
> > > Bloemfontein
> > > 9321
> > > South Africa
> > >
> > > +27 51 522 15 60
> > > +27 51 522 44 36 (after hours)
> > > +27 82 404 03 27 (mobile)
> > >
> > > will@unfoldings.net

> > > with "unsubscribe freebsd-advocacy" in the body of the message

--=20