Date:      Wed, 17 Aug 2011 16:46:35 +0100
From:      Chris Rees <utisoft@gmail.com>
To:        "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@berklix.com>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org, vincepoy@gmail.com
Subject:   Re: sysutils/diskcheckd needs fixing and a maintainer

On 17 August 2011 15:36, Julian H. Stacey <jhs@berklix.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> Reference:
>> From: =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 Chris Rees <utisoft@gmail.com>
>> Date: =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 Wed, 17 Aug 2011 12:18:05 +0100
>
> Chris Rees wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm trying to clear some PRs from freebsd-ports-bugs, and I've found
>> that sysutils/diskcheckd is in need of some attention.
>>
>> It doesn't appear to have been developed (or maintained) since 2001,
>> and has a PR associated with it that looks a little tricky (koitsu@
>> has attempted to investigate a similar of these a while ago).
>>
>> I've set it DEPRECATED to expire in two months, after which I'm going
>> to remove it if it's not fixed...
>
> I browsed the 2 URLs.
> It seems extreme to remove a port, just to close those send-prs.
> Better to leave the port marked as having some run errors in some
> circumstances, that we dont have manpower for, but leave port in
> tree.

We don't want to provide broken software.

> Many are not accustomed to look in Attic. =A0If its still in tree
> others may find it, & port any newer version.

The only sources for the port are in the tree-- upstream is whoever
picks it up to maintain.

> At least it compiles. =A0If removed, some people who look for such a
> tool might not know it exists & already ported. Fixing a tool that
> has already been easily found & built, is easier than
> finding, porting & fixing.

No, see above. We don't provide broken software.

> Those who have been helped by a pre-existant ports/ Makefile are
> more likely to contribute a replacement upgrade. =A0Those that have
> to do their own finding & porting are less likely to contribute
> their upgrade.

Not sure what you're talking about here.

> If you'r trying to force find/ blackmail ;-) a MAINTAINER, you could also=
 ask:
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
> + those who filed the 2 x send-pr
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0Jeremy Chadwick <koitsu@FreeBSD.org>

Doubt it -- he left us a while ago.

> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0Vincent Poy <vincepoy@gmail.com>

The PR he sent was left 18 months with no reply -- since he hasn't
provided a patch I don't want to bug him for one. I have updated the
PR however which he will receive notice of.

> I guess you already notified creator
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0David W. Chapman Jr. (dwcjr@FreeBSD.org)

dwcjr moved the program from src to ports, he's not the creator. I
copied ben and phk in because they were involved in the original -- I
certainly don't want to bother the guy who wanted to remove it in the
first place.

I'm not trying to force find / blackmail anyone, I'm saying 'This
software is broken, if you want FreeBSD to continue to support/provide
it someone needs to fix it.'

Chris

--=20
Chris Rees =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0| FreeBSD Developer
crees@FreeBSD.org =A0 | http://people.freebsd.org/~crees