Date:      Thu, 8 Jun 2006 20:23:50 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Tim Welch" <twelch@thepentagon.org>
To:        freebsd-gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: session save/restore

On Thu, June 8, 2006 5:28 pm, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-06-08 at 09:12 -1000, Randy Bush wrote:
>
>> since moving to 2.14, i can not save my session, at least not so that it
>> can be restored.
>>
>> logout does not even present the save option any more.
>>
>> if i run gnome-session-save --gui, it looks ok, but, when i restart,
>> none of the windows are restored.
>>
>> what clue am i missing?
>
> It works for me.  I just tested on a clean account as I do not want to
> mess with my real user's session.  I added a terminal, ran
> gnome-session-save --gui, and logged back in.  My terminal came up.  I
> suppose you could check permissions on ~/.gnome2/session, and maybe try
> ktrace'ing gnome-session-save to see if anything interesting shows up.
>
> Joe

There is indeed something wrong with sessions in 2.14. It does _not_ work
for me either, on a clean account or my old account. Whether using
gnome-session-save --gui or setting gnome to save session automatically in
desktop/preferences/sessions, the session does not get saved and my
gkrellm's do not start. Sometimes one and only one will start, but even
that's not reliable (I run 3, to monitor 3 servers here). It seems that
the session code in 2.14 will not start more than one instance of a
program. If I use a shell script to start all 3, they all start fine, on
the occasions where gnome bothers to run the shell script.

Another issue entirely.. the 'ask on logout' option in
desktop/preferences/sessions does nothing.

-Tim