Date:      Thu, 23 Apr 1998 17:21:22 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Marco A. Barbosa S." <mbarbosa@fciencias.ens.uabc.mx>
To:        root@bmkind.lnk.telstra.net (Brendan Kosowski - System Administrator)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Problems

> I am currently trying out FreeBSD 2.2.5 and I am having 2 problems :
>

> 1. If I change the root login shell in /etc/passwd to /bin/sh instead of
> /bin/csh , it still comes up as "csh" when I login as root.

hmmm how are you changing it ?
I changed and it puts me the sh very nicely... of course...
it still gives me the same # thing for the csh and the #, remember
you are root... you are supposed to get the #, otherwise... you can
forget about it and do nasty stuff... *grin*

> 2. The /etc/passwd file has * for all passwords. This is confusing because
> older unix systems used * to DISABLE a user login. If * is NOT disable,
> then how do I disable a user login ?

maybe you have heard about shadowing passwds? to prevent users from reading
the encrypted passwds and running crack on them? the real passwd
strings are in /etc/master.passwd which only the root can read...
maybe you can look at it?

> Would appreciate any help on the above problems.
>
> Thanks & Regards, Brendan Kosowski.

dont worry... I dont know everything either... *chuckle*