Date:      Mon, 10 Apr 1995 21:19:29 +0100 (BST)
From:      Paul Richards <paul@isl.cf.ac.uk>
To:        phk@ref.tfs.com (Poul-Henning Kamp)
Cc:        jfieber@cs.smith.edu, jfieber@freefall.cdrom.com, CVS-commiters@freefall.cdrom.com, cvs-share@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/share/FAQ/SGML adminman.sgml infosources.sgml

> > >   1) Sgmls and sgmlsasp: an sgml parser.  This is an easy
> > >      out-of-the-box compile.
> > >
> > >   2) The linuxdoc DTD, asp replacemet files and the sgmlformat
> > >      perl script.  There is a fair amount of cruft to be removed
> > >      from this before anybody would let it near.  One binary
> > >      is involved but I plan to absorb its functionality in
> > >      the perl script.
> >
> > Please spend time doing this.
> >
> > The extra cruft you've added to the cvs tree WILL NEVER GO AWAY!
>
> Cool down Paul.

Hey man, I'm always cool :-)

> Just now I think many of us are in favour of any kind of doc, no matter
> what bloat it adds to the tree, as compared to having no doc at all.

But this is a silly argument. I'm all in favour of getting the docs but
there's little extra work involved in writing it in SGML rather than
HTML. It doesn't solve the underlying problem at all, we can't provide
LaTeX versions of these docs or anything else.

I'd rather see them written in SGML and at some point before release one
of use will have to sit down and port the conversion tools. Doing it
this way means no-one will ever have the incentive to fix the underlying
problem and we'll end up being stuck with it this way.

> > >From now until the end of FreeBSD's existence I'm going to have X Mb of
> > disk space taken up by html files that we shouldn't have in the tree because
> > even when you implement the proper mechanism those html files will hang
> > around in the attic.
>
> We will probably have to do regular cleans of the CVSROOT anyway, so don't
> get your blood pressure too high yet...

We can't do that, not without totally buggering up any chance of checking
out previous releases. We *can* do this with the required surgery between
tags though. If it's not done before the next tag, i.e. at alpha, then
it shouldn't ever be done.

--
  Paul Richards, FreeBSD core team member.
  Internet: paul@FreeBSD.org,  URL: http://isl.cf.ac.uk/~paul/