Date:      02 May 2001 22:52:15 +0100
From:      Wayne Pascoe <wayne.pascoe@realtime.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Tweaking a laptop installation

Hi all,

My Sony Vaio Z600-HEK has arrived. Windows 2000 that was installed
seemed to be faulty. A quick shake, and it fell right off :)

Anyways, FreeBSD installed quite smoothly, and I have the box at the
point where I can do work with it. I now want to tweak it so that I
can have fun with it. To this end, I need to ask a couple of
questions (in no particular order of importance :))

1. The card installed according to Windows was an ATI rage
mobility. I chose the ATI Mach 3D RAGE II in xf86cfg because that was
the closest thing that I could find. XFree86 4.0.3 works but I was
wondering if there was a better choice ?

2. The touchpad seems sluggish. Is there any way to speed this up ?

3. Sound. The bane of my life on Laptops. I never did get the sound on
my pcg505 working under Linux or FreeBSD. Does anyone know if the
sound card in the Z600-HEK works under FreeBSD? It is a Yamaha of some
sort. If so, what should I include in my kernel to activate it ?

4. Shutting down and powering off... What do I have to do to make
shutdown -p turn off the power? I've included the apm line that was in
GENERIC in my own kernel, but it doesn't work. When I shut down I get
the message saying that the system has been shut down. Hit any key to
reboot.

5. Suspend to disk - There was no partition on the machine for this
before I whacked Windows. Is there any way to do this on this machine?

6. Memory stick slot - can this be made to work? Please say yes :)
This would make my life soooo much more convinient.

7. Jog dial - This is a looooong shot, but can this be configured to
act as a mouse wheel or is it just a plastic widget on the side of my
machine that will never be used :)

Thanks in advance for any tips / solutions to any of this :)

--
- Wayne Pascoe
E-mail: wayne.pascoe@realtime.co.uk