Date:      Tue, 21 Sep 2004 22:51:19 -0400
From:      "Carroll Kong" <me@carrollkong.com>
To:        "Carroll Kong" <me@carrollkong.com>, "Anton Ivanov" <ai1@ipaccess.com>, <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Jason Thomson <jason.thomson@mintel.com>
Subject:   Re: 3ware 7506,  FreeBSD 4.x,  Maxtor Disks & SMART Problems.

Got the 3Ware 7450's firmware upgraded.  Swapped out the one maxtor disk
that showed some errors, reran the smartctl -t long tests and made sure
every disk succeeded.  The box still randomly hangs and it looks strongly
like it is I/O related.

I wonder if my controller itself is bad.  I am about ready to give up on
this setup.  Problem is swapping out the card means a new riser card, well
at least in theory to handle the 64 bit / 66 mhz issue with risers that
3ware has.  Or I can trust 3ware's tech support that all new cards are
already fixed.  Heh.  Or we can watch as nothing else is fixed.  Or maybe
it's the interconnects, (cold swap ATA backplane) but I do not see how that
should lead to a full fledged I/O hang error.

twe0: <3ware Storage Controller driver ver. 1.40.01.002> port 0xc800-0xc80f
mem 0xfe000000-0xfe7fffff,0xfeaffc00-0xfeaffc0f irq 2 at
 device 7.0 on pci1
twe0: 4 ports, Firmware FE7X 1.05.00.068, BIOS BE7X 1.08.00.048

- Carroll Kong