Date:      Mon, 12 Aug 2019 17:27:54 +0200
From:      =?utf-8?Q?Martin_Waschb=C3=BCsch?= <martin@waschbuesch.de>
To:        FreeBSD Ports <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: PHP version retirement
References:  <CF1F28D6-1072-4BE6-B124-A97DE43FA4E6@waschbuesch.de> <64faf143-bae3-378c-3ee2-b196c2ea4111@astart.com> <16731AF5-68E9-4E41-8D21-CF5917BE32A4@waschbuesch.de> <20190810231216.GA23293@lyxys.ka.sub.org> <CD11C7D8-DC57-4402-848C-06BBAD220D8B@waschbuesch.de> <D7D5D66C-AD53-4F2E-95E5-F0131DBC82AA@lastsummer.de> <CAP7rwcjR8SYmeJJe9KrmZRJj7qQpnjQ6N8kaqrdpDSDB4cFH6g@mail.gmail.com> <C6261FE6-1FAD-44D1-BD06-B33A0CEAAC85@waschbuesch.de> <CAP7rwcg%2B2GeMLz1a%2B-abcjNcA_-mE3B%2Bh5ovC5iU03EKiHbAZg@mail.gmail.com> <2DE6652A-86FF-4F07-9F8D-97E845D41E41@waschbuesch.de> <CAP7rwcgJ9gReDfECqSLbHKxK5Y86guJSA0pq68pRjwp0eXt%2B8A@mail.gmail.com>

Hi Adam,

<martin@waschbuesch.de> wrote:
> [...]
an abandoned version is silly because it=E2=80=99s more work to delete a =
port that to just keep it in the tree for a while longer.
think a maintainer is or may be regarded as someone who can be expected =
to provide product support of some kind?
>>>=20
>>> If you believe that handling updates, analyzing submitted and =
upstream
>>> patches and development, and answering a bevy of questions for every
>>> major update is effortless, then you drastically underestimate the
>>> amount of work that goes into the ports tree.
>>=20
>> You completely misunderstand me.
>> I know there is a lot of effort going into this. I disagree only in =
that I do not believe there should be any expectations towards =
maintainers.
>> It is voluntary work. Spare time, etc. I am grateful for the effort =
people put into this, but I strongly believe no one should act towards =
volunteers with any expectations as to what they should do, how much =
time they spend, etc.
>>=20
>> So, I find it wrong to say, as I understood you, to remove a package =
from the ports tree because otherwise others people, for instance users =
of FreeBSD, would have the *expectation* of receiving support for those =
packages.
>> That perception of any kind of entitlement towards volunteers is =
wrong, IMHO.
>>=20
>> And that is why I answered that part of your message because it is =
not (for reasons stated above) a valid argument against having outdated =
software in the ports tree.
>=20
> Ah! You're right, I did completely misunderstand you.
>=20
> You're correct that we don't provide any semblance of support for the
> upstream software. Absolutely, and under no circumstances should
> anyone have to.

got it. I am glad that we are on the same page here.

> I'm referring to support of the port itself. Maintainership requires
> responding to private emails asking for help; evaluating, testing, and
> approving submitted patches; responding to PRs about changes or fixes
> or poor behaviour (90% of the time related to portmaster); responding
> to error reports; and so on.

Understood. If I wanted to offer my help maintaining a no longer =
supported version of php, where would I look to try and identify the =
amount of work likely to be involved?
Would bugs.freebsd.org be a comprehensive source for such an evaluation? =
There are a total of 10 issues in 2018 and 2019 when searching for php =
5.6:

=
https://bugs.freebsd.org/bugzilla/buglist.cgi?bug_status=3D__open__&bug_st=
atus=3D__closed__&bug_status=3DNew&bug_status=3DOpen&bug_status=3DIn%20Pro=
gress&bug_status=3DClosed&bug_status=3DUNCONFIRMED&f0=3DOP&f1=3DOP&f10=3DO=
P&f11=3Dproduct&f12=3Dcomponent&f13=3Dalias&f14=3Dshort_desc&f16=3DCP&f17=3D=
CP&f2=3Dproduct&f3=3Dcomponent&f4=3Dalias&f5=3Dshort_desc&f7=3DCP&f8=3DCP&=
f9=3DOP&j1=3DOR&j10=3DOR&o11=3Dsubstring&o12=3Dsubstring&o13=3Dsubstring&o=
14=3Dsubstring&o15=3Dsubstring&o2=3Dsubstring&o3=3Dsubstring&o4=3Dsubstrin=
g&o5=3Dsubstring&o6=3Dsubstring&order=3Dchangeddate%20DESC%2Cpriority%2Cbu=
g_severity&query_format=3Dadvanced&v11=3D5.6&v12=3D5.6&v13=3D5.6&v14=3D5.6=
&v15=3D5.6&v2=3Dphp&v3=3Dphp&v4=3Dphp&v5=3Dphp&v6=3Dphp

I assume there is more work involved (at the very least compiling php =
and all its modules with poudriere, for different platforms and / or =
versions of FreeBSD, etc.).

> We do expect those things from maintainers, because those are what are
> required to keep the ports tree running. And we actively drop
> maintainership from ports where maintainers routinely ignore those
> responsibilities, regardless of whether they have a commit bit.

Also understood. I took up maintainership of archivers/lz4 a while back =
when it was without a maintainer, so I am a little familiar with how =
this works.

> As decke noted, maintainership of a small port with relatively low
> deployment is pretty smooth (and don't get me wrong, they're as or
> more important than the big packages). But a huge and complex
> framework like php is a massive undertaking, with a near-constant
> barrage of complex patches that require highly complex testing
> strategies, and thousands of dependent ports to worry about for every
> change.

Would you agree that in the case of software that is no longer =
maintained upstream, the support would mostly consist of ensuring the =
packages still compile on newer versions of FreeBSD or reacting to =
problems arising when dependencies for php change? After all, new =
releases or patches from upstream are no longer an issue.

> I suggested that it might be possible for stale languages to remain in
> the tree, as long as the above support wasn't required or expected.
> But, honestly, Franco's response mocking the offer made my desire to
> help him somewhere at or below zero, and has pretty much ensured that
> nobody else in portmgr is going to be eager to get skin in the game.

Just as an aside, does that not amount to, well, essentially punishing =
others who might be interested in longer availability of ports such as =
php after the end of upstream development as a reaction to Franco's =
messages?
I would understand if you said: "Franco's reasons are not sufficiently =
convincing to change the way things are done."
But saying: "We won't change the way things are done (even if there were =
legitimate reasons) simply because we are fed up with Franco?" I cannot =
agree with that.

At any rate: My proposal would be a compromise of sorts:

If there were people willing to ensure the packages continue to build =
without errors on active releases of FreeBSD, could not maintainership =
of the most recently EOL php version go over to that group until =
something (dependency, change in base system, etc.) prevented the =
packages from being successfully built or a specified grace period (6 =
months, a year, EOL of next php version, etc.) has expired?

Martin=