Date:      Thu, 23 May 2024 18:41:38 +0200
From:      Michael Gmelin <grembo@freebsd.org>
To:        "freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.org" <freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Localized versions of freebsd.org outdated and linked to by google

Hi,

As I long term user I always use the English documentation of the
project and like many of us, I simply rely on google to get there.

In the past I could simply avoid search results that linked to
localized versions, but thanks to some changes google did, it's not
obvious anymore (without hovering) if the link goes to a localized
version or not, as google is stripping out the language part of the URL
when showing where it would link to, as in:

  https://www.freebsd.org =E2=80=BA releases =E2=80=BA errata

It seems like this is done based on source IP address and not based on
the actual locale used in the browser.

What I noticed while getting to localized versions is that some of
these pages are really outdated and/or broken, even those central to
the project.

Examples:
- https://www.freebsd.org/de/releases/
  This seems to have been updated last in the first year of the
  pandemic, listing 11.4 and 12.1 as current releases.
- https://www.freebsd.org/de/security/advisories/
  This is actually in English and not German, therefore it has the
  current content. Unfortunately all links to security advisories are
  broken.

I think this situation needs to be resolved, either by updating these
pages by whatever means or by giving up localization - at least for the
languages we cannot support.

Best
Michael

--=20