Date:      Wed, 12 Sep 2001 23:31:50 -0500
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@mu.org>
To:        Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
Cc:        Giorgos Keramidas <charon@labs.gr>, "P. U. (Uli) Kruppa" <root@pukruppa.de>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: anonymous-ftp cracked

* Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm@toybox.placo.com> [010912 23:28] wrote:

> Hi Uli and Giorgos,
>
>   I've had a bit of experience with this sort of thing and I have to say that
> nobody should be running an open FTP server that allows uploading to anyone
> unless they are willing to take the time to monitor it - and I mean every
> day, preferably several times a day.

One trick is to make the upload directory read only.

This may leave you open to some DoS where space is exhausted,
(but you can limit this as well as already mentioned) however
the warez/porn people quickly realize that they don't gain
anything by uploading here.

Also, please don't CC multiple lists.

-Alfred