Date:      Wed, 14 Jun 2000 12:49:09 +1000
From:      Jonathan Michaels <jon@welearn.com.au>
To:        Murray Stokely <murray@cdrom.com>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Handbook Illustrations

On Tue, Jun 13, 2000 at 12:23:32PM -0700, Murray Stokely wrote:
>   Are there any plans to replace the ASCII art in the FreeBSD Handbook
> with simple xfig diagrams?  The ASCII looks really out of place in the
> printed (PostScript) version of the handbook that was recently
> published.
>   With a few simple changes to the makefile and freebsd.dsl we could
> pass a variable with the -V option to [Open]Jade and let the DSSSL code
> decide whether to display the graphic (HTML or PostScript output) or the
> ASCII figure (Text output).

>   Does this sounds like a logical way to solve the problem?

not if thier is not a problem .. lots of people still use text
only consoles. so if your plan is to add functionality, as in
make the new 'artwork' a part of teh pdf and or ps editions
while still leaving the 'ascii art' in the html and ascii
(latin?) text versions of the document.

ok, but if you plan to replace teh 'ascii art' then i don't
think it is a good idea, because it is one step closer to teh
eventual microsoftisation of freebsd, as i tried to explain the
last time a similar issue riased its head.

as i tried to say last time, not every one uses or has access
to the latestest greatest in hardware or has human bodies that
lack 'deficiencies' .. we make do with waht we have.

what i am trying to say is that we shold always takin to
concideration that apart from teh "highend" graphics workstaon
user thier are a significant number of people (endusers) who
use text only consoles for reasons that are important to then,
in order to minimise the impact on them and to keep them as
users we should alsway include thier point of view in teh so
called upgrading of the tools and other paraphenalia that we
supply under the freebsd banner.

just becaue i use a i386dx33 with 8 mb dram, 345 mb esdi hard
drive and a text only console display i don't assume that every
body else in teh universe uses the same .. so, when a person
has an all teh bells and whistles 'workstation' they also
should not assume that every one else in teh universe is
simillarly endowed. unix has always been an everymans toolbox,
not a technical tour de force available to those who can afford
teh entry price .. or so has been my understanding, of cource i
could have been wrong.

<apology in advance>
i am sorry, but, i don't know how else to say what i am trying
to say, while not getting jumped on by the lurking bigots and
nacent 'thought police' that are an ever increasing part of teh
population in mailling lists these days.
</apology in advance>

regards and with apologies to those who might need one.

jonathan, resident dinosaur.