Date:      Mon, 13 Mar 2000 05:57:28 +0100 (CET)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@dorifer.heim3.tu-clausthal.de>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NODESCRYPTLINKS=true doesn't work

Kris Kennaway <kris@hub.freebsd.org> wrote in list.freebsd-current:
 > DES crypt links have a "higher priority" than MD5 crypt links - if you do
 > a make install in secure/lib/libcrypt or lib/libcrypt, each will overwrite
 > the libcrypt links of the other. The difference is that make world runs
 > secure/lib/libcrypt last, so the DES links win. So, as the name suggests,
 > unless you want no DES crypt links (keep the MD5 links, please!), you
 > don't use it.

Ah, now I understand.  Thankyou very much for the explanation.
May I suggest that the above paragraph is added to the setting
in etc/defaults/make.conf?  The current comment in that file
is not really helpful.  At least not for me.  :-)

 > "WANTDESCRYPTLINKS" is the historical behaviour which hasn't
 > changed.

Are you sure?  I think the historical behaviour was to _not_
touch the symlinks at all, which I thought was a very sensible
and POLA-conforming default.  I'm always using the DES-capable
crypt lib (to be able to share passwords with Solaris boxes),
and a "make world" never changed the symlinks.

Regards
   Oliver

--
Oliver Fromme, Leibnizstr. 18/61, 38678 Clausthal, Germany

"In jedem Stück Kohle wartet ein Diamant auf seine Geburt"
                                         (Terry Pratchett)