Date:      Tue, 19 Nov 1996 02:18:20 +0200 (SAT)
From:      Robert Nordier <rnordier@iafrica.com>
To:        tenser@spitfire.ecsel.psu.edu
Cc:        bugs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: kern/2043: 2.2-ALPHA stdio problems?  (Bad Address errors)

tenser@spitfire.ecsel.psu.edu wrote:

[ ... ]
> >Release:        FreeBSD 2.2-CURRENT i386
> >Environment:
> i386dx40, 8MB RAM, 1.2GB IDE disk, 64Kb cache
[ ... ]

> 	Programs which read from stdin will, if given a period
> 	of inactivity (say, 30 seconds) return ``Bad Address''
> 	errors from read calls.  This will cause vi to exit or
> 	dump core, sendmail to ignore whoever it's talking to,
> 	telnet to stop talking to a remote host, etc.

I also have 2.2-ALPHA installed on an old test system with virtually
identical hardware.  EFAULTs are being reported regularly (though
not quite consistently) by vi; by ftp; and (most reproducibly: about
4 times out of 5) by sendmail when invoked by procmail:

   sendmail[999]: NOQUEUE: SYSERR(root): getrequests: accept: Bad
   address

The problem appears worse when the system is under load (eg. vi
suddenly crashed just now when the `daily' script started).

Prior to installing 2.2-ALPHA, the system has run 2.0-RELEASE
through 2.1.5-RELEASE flawlessly.

--
Robert Nordier