Date:      Wed, 6 Sep 2000 14:38:57 -0700
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
To:        petro <petro@She.wertep.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Promiscuous mode

* petro <petro@She.wertep.com> [000906 14:34] wrote:
> rl0: promiscuous mode enabled
> rl0: promiscuous mode disabled
> What does it mean and how I can set this ????
> Thank you very much.

When we say realtek cards are 'cheap', we didn't mean price-wise.

Er, sorry, seriously, it means that the card isn't filtering packets
based on MAC address and is slurping all data that comes at it over
the ethernet.

It usually means someone is running a dhcp client or some packet
sniffing software.

Please use -questions for questions, the -hackers list is for
actuall discussion of FreeBSD programming and bugs.