Date:      Sun, 13 Apr 1997 17:59:30 +1000 (EST)
From:      "Daniel O'Callaghan" <danny@panda.hilink.com.au>
To:        Vincent Poy <vince@mail.MCESTATE.COM>
Cc:        John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@resnet.uoregon.edu>, isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Some advice needed.

On Sat, 12 Apr 1997, Vincent Poy wrote:

> 	Hmm, will a K5 run as well as a P5 though?  Since it might be
> faster but what about compatibility issues?  As for the ethernet card,
> wouldn't a 100Mbps PCI be better?  But is 8 megs really enough for a
> terminal server?  Now how much does the multiport cards cost?

K5 works fine with FreeBSD.  8MB is enough, especially if you have plenty
of swap.  I know of a 486DX4-120 with 8 MB RAM running 30 permanent
kernel ppp (/usr/sbin/pppd) sessions.  It thrashes like hell during
startup, but then it settles down.  It is also running gated.  I did
recommend to the owner that he give it more RAM, though.  Note that pppd
is mostly swapped out for normal use.

As for 100 vs 10 Mbps, calculate the b/w of your modems....

Danny