Date:      Mon, 27 Nov 1995 09:33:46 +0100 (MET)
From:      sos@FreeBSD.org
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        cshenton@apollo.hq.nasa.gov, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Thoughts on the install and on Red Hat Linux.

[much deleted]

Earth calling hackers, hackers come in.....

It might be "fancy looking" to have an install process running in X,
BUT, gentlemen, keep in mind all the hassle we had when we said
that 4M wasn't enough to boot the install disk !!

My experience here tells me that the first thing many new users are
going to do, is trying to install on the old 386 box over in the
corner, and if we won't run resonably on that, forget it....
Also all the more "proffessional" users that uses FreeBSD on
servers, gateways etc typically has an old (if existent)
video system, so they would be shouting at us too...

I've had a little pet project for some time now that would
allow us to run a graphical program on videohardware ranging
from old CGA to modern VGA (admitted no graphics on a true
monochrome card, only on hercules), that has most of the controls
etc that Visual Basic (I know BWADR!) has, but with an interface
to "pure" C code instead. As Poul-Henning suggested I could
even use VB as the design tool (not a bad idea at all).

This VB thing might actually be THE point, as I miss the easy
design that VB allows, I've seen no tool for X (for a "human"
amount of money that is) that gives that kind of freedom.
Lets face it, we will only get graphical utils if they are
easy to generate. So when will Wine run VB ? :) :)

I'm working on this for something entirely different, but I
think it would do fine here, as well as for all those
"sysadm" utils we can imagine to do.

Much of the system can still be changed, so I'm open to suggestions..

Soren Schmidt             (sos@FreeBSD.org)             FreeBSD Core Team
               So much code to hack -- so little time.