Date:      Thu, 21 May 1998 13:27:13 +0200
From:      Ollivier Robert <roberto@keltia.freenix.fr>
To:        hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: K6 & PPro specific instructions

According to Stephen Hocking-Senior Programmer PGS Tensor Perth:
> I'm a little unclear on this - my K6 reports itself as a 586 class CPU under
> FreeBSD, but I was wondering if it implemented some of the PPro specific
> instructions/features.

PPro instructions I don't think so. Check AMD docs for this, they're
available in PDF format from AMD's site. The main document is very
interesting with many details about the internal architecture of the
processor.

If you want to play with it, get EGCS + the PGCC patches (they're in ports
and available from ftp.goof.com). With the new compiler you can specify
-march=amdk6 and have code  abit tuned for the K6.
--
Ollivier ROBERT -=- FreeBSD: The Power to Serve! -=- roberto@keltia.freenix.fr
FreeBSD keltia.freenix.fr 3.0-CURRENT #60: Fri May 15 21:04:22 CEST 1998