Date:      Thu, 10 Dec 1998 19:26:30 +0000
From:      curtis <ufkartfm@pacific.net>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/alpha/3.0-19981208-SNAP

This SNAP worked for me and  >>>boot dva0 -flags a   took me through the
'whole' install.

I have a 'rough' log of steps for "Express" installing "Kern-Developer"
on a Multia VX42.  Folks interested in these "rough notes" are welcome
to them.

(smile) Having said that, here are the things I had to do to make it
work, because it still does this: "Making a new root filesystem on
/dev/rda0s1a [snip]".

After finishing the install, the reboot (or powercycle), under SRM, and
using the kern.flp floppy disk:

>>>boot dva0 -flags a
[when it says]
Please insert MFS root floppy and press enter:
[do not change disks - just PRESS ENTER]
[snip] (for reference)
swapon: /dev/da0s1b: Device not configured
Automatic reboot in progress...
Can't open /dev/rda0s1a: Device not configured
/dev/rda0s1a: CAN'T CHECK FILE SYSTEM.
/dev/rda0s1a: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck MANUALLY.
Automatic file system check failed... help!
[snip]
# df
Filesystem  512-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity  Mounted on
da0a            871262   288482   513080    36%    /
[snip]
# mount /dev/da0a /
# cd /etc
# cat fstab
# Device          Mountpoint      FStype  Options          Dump    Pass#
/dev/da0s1b       none            swap    sw               0       0
/dev/da0s1a       /               ufs     rw               1       1
/dev/cd0c         /cdrom  cd9660  ro,noauto       0        0
proc              /proc           procfs  rw               0       0
# vi fstab
[snip] - Remove s1
# cat fstab
# Device           Mountpoint      FStype  Options         Dump    Pass#
/dev/da0b          none            swap    sw              0       0
/dev/da0a          /               ufs     rw              1       1
/dev/cd0c          /cdrom  cd9660  ro,noauto       0       0
proc               /proc           procfs  rw              0       0
# vi ttys
[snip] I use a P2 minicom serial term to talk to the Multia and here is
how I do it (a snip from Sean O'Connell):

> Success.  I figured out why the darn thing hangs after the date.
> The default /etc/ttys does not look for a terminal connect there.
>
> I changed the ttyd0 entry:
>
> ttyd0   "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"    vt100  on secure
[snip]

#disklabel -B -b /usr/mdec/boot1 /dev/da0c

While I am here I also use "adduser" and "passwd"

#shutdown -r now
[snip]
[I powercycle here]

>>>boot dka0 -flags a

[snipped]
Fri Dec 11 01:43:27 GMT 1998
FreeBSD 3.0-19981208-SNAP (GENERIC) #0: Wed Dec  9 14:03:04 GMT 1998
multia# cd /usr/src/sys/alpha/conf
multia#

have fun, curtis

--
curtis - ufkartfm@pacific.net - site administrator for Nobody
      I want Nobody to control my life!  How about you?