Date:      Tue, 11 May 1999 20:57:47 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Nicole Harrington <nicole@nmhtech.com>
To:        advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   Interesting article in an unlikely place

 I found a cool article:
http://www/aceshardware.com/articles/how-to/freebsd.shtml

Below is a copy, and no, I don't have time to reformat it...:|

Home UNIX Boxen=20
                         FreeBSD=20

                         Ace's Hardware=20

                         By Brian Neal=20

                         5/5/99=20

                         There are a number of freely available UNIX varien=
ts
online, and a number of reasons to use one. From platform
                         support requirements (from a developer's standpoin=
t)
to just plain curiosity, more and more people these days are
                         choosing to use a free UNIX operating system on th=
eir
home PCs. Previously, I discussed using Solaris 7 x86 on a
                         home PC, now I'd like to introduce you to FreeBSD,=
completely free, non-GPLed, reliable freeware UNIX OS based
                         on Berkely UNIX 4.4 (BSD).=20

                         FreeBSD and not Linux?=20

                         They're both free, but why choose FreeBSD over Lin=
ux,
with it's popularity and support growing everyday, or even
                         Solaris x86, a well-established player? It comes d=
own
to heritage. There are essentially two fundamental versions of
                         UNIX, AT&T System V and BSD (Berkely System Design=
).
All the decendants of UNIX available today
                         (Solaris/SunOS, AIX, HP-UX, Digital UNIX, *BSD, et=
c.)
are based roughly on either of these two systems, though
                         many combine elements from both.=20

                         Though both UNIX implementations can perform the s=
ame
tasks and generally perform equally, BSD and SysV have
                         different ways of going about doing things
(internals). Nowhere is this more apparent than in the configuration files,
                         which means it can be quite a nuisance if an
administrator has to administer both styles at a single site.=20

                         FreeBSD stays true to it's BSD heritage, even thou=
gh
the FreeBSD team has made a number of improvements and
                         modifications. Linux, though it is somewhat unlike
other UNIX operating systems internally (since it was developed
                         from the ground up), primarily resembles System V.
Solaris 7 (SunOS 5.x) is derived from System V as well, though it
                         additionally has numerous similarities with BSD
systems since earlier SunOS 4.x versions were BSD.=20

                         The FreeBSD project is also generally considered t=
o be
more cohesive than most Linux distributions, as there is a
                         single version of FreeBSD, and it's growth is
monitored and supervised by a tight-knit group of developers. With
                         Linux, only the kernel remains unchanged, the rest=
 of
the core software is up to the distributor, which is why it's very
                         possible to find incredibly good Linux distributio=
ns
as well as very poor distributions.=20

                         Installation=20

                         Where to Get FreeBSD=20

                         The main ftp server is ftp.freebsd.org, and the
FreeBSD home page is at www.freebsd.org. The ftp server will always
                         have the most up-to-date version, freebsd-current,
which is compiled daily. The FTP site also stores "RELEASE"
                         and "STABLE" versions, which support various featu=
res
and components based on the overall stability/reliability of the
                         system (STABLE is more conservative). There are al=
so
several mirrors, you can get a list from the web page. Take
                         notice that FreeBSD is quite large! If you just wa=
nt a
taste, download only the binary distribution or order the entire
                         thing on cdrom from Walnut Creek:=20

                                Walnut Creek CDROM=20
                                4041 Pike Lane, Suite D=20
                                Concord CA 94520=20
                                1-800-786-9907, +1-510-674-0783,
+1-510-674-0821 (fax)=20

                                Or via the internet from orders@cdrom.com o=
http://www.cdrom.com. Their current catalog can be
                                obtained via ftp from:
ftp://ftp.cdrom.com/cdrom/catalog.

                         Installing FreeBSD=20

                         First you must download the needed files. Only the
`bin' distribution is truly required, but I recommend all of the
                         following:=20

                          Bin
                                    All the binaries necessary to run the
system (no source), this is mandatory.
                          Manpages
                                    The FreeBSD manpages. They form the
`manual' for the system.
                          Doc
                                    FreeBSD specific documentation (very
useful).
                          Floppies
                                    The boot floppy images for the
installation, currently you need two floppy
                                    disks for an installation (boot.flp and
mfsroot.flp).
                          Ports
                                    The FreeBSD ports library, a collection=
 of
Makefiles used to simplify the
                                    installation of ported software by
automatically downloading, compiling,
                                    and patching the source code.
                          Tools
                                    Some DOS utilities to help with the
installation. In particular, the
                                    `rawrite.exe' utility can be used to wr=
ite
the boot images to a floppy, while
                                    the FIPS program can be used to safely
resize partitions (like Partition
                                    Magic).
                          XF86333
                                    XFree86 3.3.3, freely available X
distribution, provides support for
                                    graphical interfaces and software.
                          Xbin
                                    Required binary X distribution.
                          Xcfg
                                    Configuration files for XFree86 (requir=
ed).
                          Xdoc
                                    Documentation for XFree86
                          Xfnts
                                    Standard fonts for X (required)
                          Xlib
                                    X libraries (required)
                          Xman
                                    Manpages for X and the included sofware=
=20
                          Xset
                                    XFree86 graphical configuration utility=
,
needs XF86VG16.
                          XSVGA
                                    SVGA server that supports most modern v=
ideo
boards.
                          XVG16
                                    Generic VGA16 server, 640x480 with 4-bi=
color

                         Please remember, there are many other files to be
downloaded for a truely complete distribution of FreeBSD and
                         XFree86, these are just the basic requirements!=
=20

                         Make a boot floppy. Use the `rawrite.exe' utility =
you
downloaded from the `tools' directory to write the `boot.flp' and
                         `mfsroot.flp' images to a blank 1.44MB floppy disk=
.
Fortunately, the installation program contained on the boot floppy
                         is quite intuitive and contains a good deal of
documentation once you reach that phase of the installation.=20

                         Insert the disk and reboot. Once your system reboo=
ts,
you'll see a boot prompt, just press enter and the kernel will
                         uncompress. You will be presented with a choice
configuration or to skip the configuration. Kernel configuration will
                         allow you to select what kind of hardware FreeBSD =
will
probe for upon boot up. If you know what hardware you do and
                         don't have, go ahead and enter the kernel
configuration in `visual' mode (much easier) to remove the drivers you don'=
                         need. When finished, press `q' and the installatio=
will continue.=20

                         The installation program should automatically star=
t,
you will be presented with several choices, including different
                         levels of installation (novice, expert, or custom)=
,
documentation, configuration, etc. It's generally recommended to
                         choose `Novice' even if you aren't one, since the
installation is simply easier.=20

                         You're first task is to select and partition a dis=
for FreeBSD to reside on. If you have more than one hard disk you will
                         be presented with a choice:=20

                                [ ] wd0=20
                                [ ] wd1

                         These are your hard disks, the display might vary
slightly depending on how many disks you have and whether or not
                         you use SCSI devices (if so, the device names will=
 be
different. Essentially, disk 0 is the boot disk, and the others
                         follow. To allocate space for installation, select=
disk with the space bar. You can select and create partitions on as
                         many disks as you like.=20

                         Once you've selected a disk, fdisk will start. Thi=
s is
pretty self explanatory, select some free space (unallocated disk
                         space) and hit `c' to create a partition. You will=
 be
asked for the size, if you want all the free space to be used by
                         FreeBSD then just press enter, else enter a value =
for
the size. You can append the suffix `M' to denote megabytes
                         when entering your size values. After the size dia=
log,
a type dialog will be displayed, it defaults to `165' (FreeBSD),
                         just hit enter here. Then press `q' to exit.=20

                         You will be asked to install a boot manager, it
defaults to install to the master boot record. If you need to use another
                         os (dos), then hit enter.=20

                         Your next task is to divide the partition you crea=
ted
into slices. Slices are like sub-partitions of the primary partition.
                         They form your primary UNIX filesystems, like /, /=
usr,
/opt, and so on. In the disklabel program (which is run by the
                         installation when fdisk is done), you will be able=
select which partition to configure and view which slices you have
                         made. Select your FreeBSD partition and hit `c' to
create a new slice. You will need to enter a size, since this is your
                         root, it should be 50M or greater in size (I use 1=
50M,
but it depends on the size of your partition (don't go under 30M)).
                         Make sure you choose `Filesystem' when asked what
type. Enter `/' (foreward slash) for the mount point. You have
                         now created you're first FreeBSD slice, now for mo=
re.
Hit `c' to create another slice, make this one larger as it will
                         store your applications and X. The mount point wil=
l be
`/usr'. Next you must create a swap slice. Hit `c', choose type
                         `swap', and the size should be roughly twice that =
of
your physical ram. Then hit 'q' once you've finished. You may also
                         want a separate `/var' filesystem if you require s=
pace
for mail, and log files, but it's not required.=20

                         The slices will be created and you will be prompte=
d to
select which distributions you wish to install and where they are
                         located. If you downloaded the distributions from =
the
internet they generally need to be on a DOS partition under the
                         `\freebsd' directory, with a separate directory fo=
each distribution. For example, `c:\freebsd\bin' holds the binary
                         distribution. If this is where your files are loca=
ted,
then the source media is `DOS'.=20

                         You will have to select which distributions to
install. `Minimal' installs just the `bin'. If you have downloaded just the
                         distributions you want, then use `custom' to selec=
them all. This is also true of XFree86, merely select what you've
                         got, and choose a server for your monitor. When do=
ne,
hit enter until you arrive at the main distribution menu, and then
                         hit enter to install what you have selected.=20

                         If everything went smoothly you will be asked to
configure your system. This is all self explanatory. When complete,
                         the system will reboot, and the boot manager will
appear:=20

                                F1... dos=20
                                F2... BSD=20
                                F5... disk2

                         Use the function keys to select the appropriate sy=
stem
(BSD), or the second disk, if that is where FreeBSD is located.

                         FreeBSD will start and you will be presented with =
login prompt. If you login as `root', you can configure the system
                         using the included `sysinstall' utility:=20

                                # /stand/sysinstall

                         Getting Around in FreeBSD=20

                         Getting around in FreeBSD is just like getting aro=
und
in any other UNIX operating system. By default, however,
                         FreeBSD doesn't launch X for a graphical interface=
. If
you wish to start X up, you can type the following from the
                         command line:=20

                                # startx

                         This starts up XFree86 and executes any commands
contained inside your .xinitrc file. If this is your first time
                         running FreeBSD, however, you'll need to configure
Xfree86 first.=20

                                # XF86Setup

                         XF86Setup will launch the graphical configuration
tool, but if you haven't installed the VGA server (XVG16 listed
                         above), you can't use it. If this is the case, the=
you need to use:=20

                                # xf86config

                         Using the Ports Library=20

                         FreeBSD contains a convenient group of ported
applications that you can build right on your FreeBSD machine. You
                         may also download precompiled binaries for the por=
ts,
but often find it more convenient to just keep the makefiles
                         around for the entire ports library. Assuming you
installed the ports library, you can use it very easily:=20

                                # cd /usr/ports

                         This will take you into the ports directory, which=
 is
subdivided by software categories (like archivers, www, net, etc.).
                         You can `cd' to any of these subdirectories and th=
en
use the make command to build a specific program. Here's an
                         example:=20

                                # cd /usr/ports/net=20

                                # cd radius=20

                                # make=20

                                # make install

                         The commands above download, compile, and install =
the
latest version of the RADIUS remote authentication port for
                         FreeBSD. However, what if you didn't know exactly
which piece of software you were looking for? You could easily
                         search the ports library like this:=20

                                # cd /usr/ports=20

                                # make search key=3D"tcp"

                         Make will then display a list of all ports with "t=
cp"
contained within the description.=20

                         FreeBSD for Non-x86 Machines?=20

                         Although porting projects are underway, unlike it'=
brothers NetBSD and OpenBSD, FreeBSD has no complete
                         non-x86 ports at this time. However, ports to Alph=
and SPARC architectures are underway and you can monitor their
                         progress with the links below.=20

                                FreeBSD for Alpha=20
                                FreeBSD for SPARC=20

                         More Information on FreeBSD=20

                         As I'm barely scratching the surface here, and thi=
article is by no means the only piece of FreeBSD information
                         available online, I'd like to link a few points of
reference.=20

                                The FreeBSD Project Web Site=20
                                Frequently Asked Questions About FreeBSD=
=20
                                FreeBSD Handbook=20
                                FreeBSD Mall=20
                                Daemon News=20
                                FreeBSD Powers Visual Effects in Matrix=20

                         If you haven't done so already, take a look at my
first article in this series, Home UNIX Boxen, Solaris x86. There's
                         more to come soon, as I'll also be reviewing Linux
shortly.=20

                          | o_o  |__  ) )          =20
          nicole@nmhtech.com | http://www.webweaver.net/
webmistress@dangermouse.org  | http://www.dangermouse.org