Date:      Sun, 15 Mar 1998 12:40:28 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Adam W. Hawks" <awhawks@usa.net>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Insat Wireless Modem

----------------------------------
E-Mail: Adam W. Hawks <awhawks@usa.net>
Date: 14-Mar-98
Time: 16:06:10

This message was sent by XFMail
----------------------------------
Well folks a while back there was some talk about the insat wireless
modem and whether it would work in FreeBSD or whether drivers had to
be written. Well I took the leap and bought one and it will work in
FreeBSD without any coding.

The modem is a standard CDPD modem.
For it to work with FreeBSD you have to give up the Venturi compression.
The max rate in FreeBSD (without the compression) will be 19200 (portrate)
and this will vary with CDPD signal strength.
If someone can get info on the Venturi algorithm or get them to do a FreeBSD
version then this should also work.

How I got it to work.
1) turned of encryption in the modem.
2) I conected to modem with cu and put modem in SLIP mode "at sli slip"
3) I then did "ifconfig sl0 inet mymodemIP -> DNSserver(seems to be the same as
   the gateway)
4) I then did "slattach -h -s 19200 /dev/modem
5) I then did "route add default DNSserver
6) at this point I could work on the net.

This may be trivial to some of you but it took me a while to find out the modem
command that would let it work. It does seem that SLIP is the only way to
connect with this modem.