Date:      Sun, 20 Dec 1998 20:39:31 -0500
From:      Randall Hopper <aa8vb@pagesz.net>
To:        Matthias Buelow <mkb@altair.mayn.de>
Cc:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bin/9135: tar doesn't back up device files

Matthias Buelow:
 |"aa8vb@pagesz.net" wrote:

 |>	Using tar to backup my root partition, I find that tar can't
 |>back up many (around 80) of my device files.  The errors are all of
 |>this form:
 |>
 |>       tar: dev/da0s3: minor number too large; not dumped
 |>       tar: dev/rda0s3: minor number too large; not dumped
 |>       tar: dev/da0s4: minor number too large; not dumped
 |
 |That's why you should use cpio or dump to backup filesystems, not tar.

I prefer to use tar because it seems to "have the smarts" to talk to a tape
drive correctly.  I don't know what's at work under-the-hood, but when I
"tar -f /dev/nrsa0" to my Exabyte tape drive, I can archive a given tree in
20-30 min.  If I use "cpio > /dev/nrsa0" (even if I compress before sending
it to tape), it never finishes (well, I let it sit-and-spin for over 10
hours; no dice).

And I can't do "cpio > file.cpio; tar -f /dev/nrst0 file.cpio" because I
usually don't have as much free space available as is used.

At any rate, it seems FreeBSD tar not working on a stock FreeBSD UFS tree
is a bug.  Is there a technical reason why it cannot work correctly?

Thanks,

Randall