Date:      Mon, 19 Feb 2001 23:24:14 -0500
From:      Daniel Hagan <dhagan@colltech.com>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>, security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ftpd's read-only mode

> In message <xzp7l2ml8pa.fsf@flood.ping.uio.no>, Dag-Erling Smorgrav writes:
> >A while ago, Poul-Henning implemented a read-only option in ftpd that
> >makes the server refuse any command that would write, remove or modify
> >a file or directory. Currently, the server will send a 202 reply with
> >the reason "Command ignored. Server is in readonly mode.", but I think
> >that a "550 Permission denied" would be much more appropriate. Does
> >anybody object to this change?

Back at the beginning of Jan I had a patch discussed on -audit that
fixed some minor stuff w/ the 'ro' code and added a per-user read-only
mode to login.conf.  If you want to commit this too (it originally got
killed due to rumors that ftpd was going to be replaced by the netbsd
version), the patch is still available from
http://vtopus.cs.vt.edu/~dhagan/freebsd/ftpd.patch

The discussion in in the archives
http://docs.freebsd.org/mail/archive/2001/freebsd-audit/20010107.freebsd-audit.html

Daniel