Date:      Thu, 15 Oct 1998 06:57:20 -0700
From:      Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <cschuber@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
To:        "Jeffrey J. Mountin" <jeff-ml@mountin.net>
Cc:        mike@seidata.com, "N. N.M" <madrapour@hotmail.com>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG, mjenkins@carp.gbr.epa.gov
Subject:   Re: Again logging!

> Yes, but the facility is LOG_AUTH if you use the port.  The original source
> uses LOG_MAIL for some odd reason.  Either way it should be logged in
> messages with the original install's syslog.conf, which lumps it in with
> other daemons.
>
> Personally I change patch-aa to use LOG_LOCAL7 and in syslog.conf I direct
> local7.* to /var/log/tcpd, which IMO should have a logfile to itself.  Then
> again I like to break things down more than the original syslog.conf does,
> which makes it easier to sift out the chaff.

Or you could configure tcpd to log to a file instead of syslog, though
I wouldn't recommend it.  (I know many sysadmins who do).

I especially like Mike Jenkins' comment.  An excellent suggestion.

I've noticed that the ports, some in particular, have become quite
configurable.  Yet another opportunity...

Open Systems Group          Internet:  cschuber@uumail.gov.bc.ca
ITSD                                   Cy.Schubert@gems8.gov.bc.ca
Government of BC