Date:      Sun, 08 Dec 1996 04:19:29 +1100
From:      Richard Jones <richard@deep-thought.org>
To:        proff@suburbia.net
Subject:   A satisfied linux customer (not ;)

------- Forwarded Message

>From redhat-list-request@redhat.com  Sun Dec  8 02:52:00 1996
From: "Lance Cummings" <lance@iac.co.jp>
To: redhat-list@redhat.com
Date: Sun, 8 Dec 1996 00:46:02 +0900
Subject: Why I'm probably headed back to Microsoft . . .

I know this isn't going to shake up the Linux world
very much, but I pretty sure I'm headed back to Microsoft.

I'm giving Linux until December 31 to reveal enough
of its secrets to me to make it worth the trouble it
is to try and figure it out.  That'll give me slightly
more than 2 months invested in learning an OS.
Did I say "learning"?  Sorry, I meant just getting
the stupid thing to do anything useful besides play
XTetris.  Pretty poor ROI at this point, lemme tell ya.
I don't know how to do anything, and most people
point me in directions that seem to lead nowhere.

Read a man page, they say.  They're completely nuts.
The man pages need to be *thrown away* and rewritten
from top to bottom.  I'll be happy to do it, but somebody
is going to have to translate them into English first.
Really, for a non programmer coming from a point and
click environment, they're about as useful as a mug
of warm spittle.  Read a man page(!)  <ROTFL>
Might as well tell me to read Swahili, and right now.

I bought Running Linux.  Doesn't do much to help me
set up a ppp connection with Colgate, I'm afraid.  The
HOWTO?  Well, if someone would translate it into
English -- non-programmer, non-Linux user English,
that is -- it might be more helpful I suppose.  I've read
the thing a few times.  Wow.  Is this really supposed
to help me with Colgate???

I bought Unix For Dummies.  I feel kinda dumb for
having bought it.

I bought Linux Companion, too.  Seems nice if you're
logged into a multi-user system.  Doesn't help me so
much with Colgate.  I mean I'm sure I'll need to know
about STDIN, STDOUT, STDERR and Redirection
one of these days, but first, I'd like to know how
to stop almost every X window that opens from
opening so the damn control buttons are behind the
damn always-on-top, multiple-window control panel.

May the hard drive of the person who came up with
that one freeze up completely on the next boot.

I bought Colgate -- with its promise of out-of-the-box
functionality and customer support.  I'm sure it functions
pretty well for some people out of the box.  I spent 2
weeks just figuring out how to get the mouse to work
"properly."  Who needs this kind of grief?  Did anyone
get a load of the PPP "instructions" that come with the
"manual"?  Are they kidding, or what?

Half of Colgate seems broken.  Every time I startx, I get
a core dump.  Hey, am I having fun yet?  The errata list
seems to grow like a virus.  If Colgate was a car, it would
have been recalled by now.  So many menu items that
show on my Metro-X menus don't do anything when I
click on them that I'm convinced there really *are* no
apps for Linux. <g>

RedHat is no help whatsoever.  I'm saving my first and
second ticket numbers that I got from their support bot.
They're dated Nov 1 and 2.  They're still unanswered.
Maybe I can blackmail RedHat in a couple of years into
buying them back from me for 50 bucks.

Has anyone pulled up the Help with FVWM file from
the Metro-X main menu.  Now there's a good joke if
I ever saw one.  Really, honestly, read the "Overview"
and pretend you don't know anything about Linux.
The only thing you learn from reading that document
is that you either did or did not major in computer
science, based on whether you can understand what
the hell they're talking about.

Finally, I may be just dreaming, but I don't think I'm
too dull to get this.  I don't think Columbia and
Georgetown thought I was, either, when they handed
me my diplomas.  I can follow directions in the
English, French and Japanese languages pretty well,
although I will admit to being at my best in English.
So what's wrong with Linux that I can't read a book
for an hour or so and then hook up to my ISP and
download my mail in Linux?  I mean you guys can
knock Microsoft all you want, and sometimes with
good reason.  But when I want to *do* something
in Windows, the OS doesn't seem to fight me tooth
and nail to stop me from learning how to do it.

I've seen a lot of cleaver tags about Windows on
the end of some of the messages on this list.

I even thought of one myself.

Windoze:  Because Bill Gates obviously thinks it
*should* take 4 or 5 minutes to format a floppy.

But I've also thought of one for Linux.

Linux:  Because why the heck would anyone want
to do *anything* with a computer the easy way?

Okay, I'm donning my flame-retardant BVDs now,
so adjust the nozzles of your flame throwers as
you wish.  I'd prefer to stick with this beast, but
I'm gonna need more help than "Why don't you
go read a man page or a HOWTO?"

What the hell do I have to do to get my email
in Linux?  (I was getting some off-list help with this,
but my helper seems to have given up -- I suspect
because my machine didn't do what he said it should
when I typed in the commands he advised.)

Why does Ghostview give me an error
message every time I try to open a file?  (Yes, I've
downloaded and installed *all* the errata fixes.)

Why does the startx command result in a huge core
file every time I issue it?

Lastly, am I *really* gonna have to log out and log back
in as root every time I just wanna shutdown?

Blow me off or help me as you wish.

Frustrated and ready to toss in the towel in Tokyo.

Lance

- --