Date:      Tue, 17 Oct 2000 15:48:43 +0200 (IST)
From:      Roman Shterenzon <roman@harmonic.co.il>
To:        "Brandon D. Valentine" <bandix@looksharp.net>
Cc:        freebsd-small@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: picobsd build

Quoting "Brandon D. Valentine" <bandix@looksharp.net>:

> On Mon, 16 Oct 2000, Roman Shterenzon wrote:
>
> >The PicoBSD is broken a bit.
> >Look for my patches that I sent to small if you can't build it or use
> it.
>
> Can someone tell me what all is involved in getting PicoBSD builds
> working under RELENG_4 and point me to any uncommitted patches I might
> need?  I'd like to get it working.  Actually I don't even necessarily
> need PicoBSD working.  Is there a way to build tinyware without PicoBSD
> mechanisms?  I'd like to populate a filesystem image with bootblocks, a
> kernel, and the tinyware apps + a few others compiled from ports.  I'd
> appreciate any pointers.

I like the "build" mechanism more than "make" mechanism, or,
maybe I just couldn't make "make" mechanism work.

Search the mailing lists: -stable, -small.
I've sent some patches. Maybe I'll open a PR when I come home.
The problem is that no one seems to maintain it.
Can you hear me, -stable?

The problems:
-Needs to define NOIPSEC for some tools to build.
-There's no more "more", use less and ln less more
-The /etc is compressed, either don't compress it, or remember
to decomress it when booting and remember to compress it when
using "update".
-update script does something weird in order to set the device.
just use "/dev/fd0" and that's it.

These are the patches I've sent. I only worked with "net" flavor
though.

Something else I didn't fix:
- missing /dev entries.

I really like PicoBSD. I'm planning to use it as ipnat/ipfilter
gateway when I'll finally get a cable connection.
(Yes, you can even have syslogd in it)

--Roman Shterenzon, UNIX System Administrator and Consultant
[ Xpert UNIX Systems Ltd., Herzlia, Israel. Tel: +972-9-9522361 ]