Date:      Sun, 20 Feb 2000 21:37:12 +0100
From:      Andreas Klemm <andreas@klemm.gtn.com>
To:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Olaf Hoyer <ohoyer@fbwi.fh-wilhelmshaven.de>, sos@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: separate udma66 controller possible, when only having udma33 bios

Hi Olaf (and the others),

thanks for your kind and fast response.

On Sun, Feb 20, 2000 at 08:29:47PM +0100, Olaf Hoyer wrote:
> But to run UDMA/66, you also need the special 80-wire cabling,

Well, then I'll have to buy an 80-wire cable tomorrow as well.

> but unless you are not having some more of that beasts in your
> machine, there will be no big difference to UDMA/33.

The Maxtor 54098U8 will be the only EIDE device in the machine.
So would it be satisfactory, to run it with the on board EIDE
controller ???  But you also told me, that the CPU utilization
is less with UDMA/66. So ... if I want to save some CPU cycles,
should I nevertheless use UDMA/66 ?!

> Those Promise and Abit etc. Controllers come with their on BIOS.
> Therefore, if you buy one of these (about 100 DM here in Germany (~U$50))
> you are able to do UDMA/66.

Soren, what controller do you have ? I think it would be a good strategy
to buy a controller, that you have yourself, since I have the feeling, that
EIDE sometimes has something of "black magic" ...

Is this true ??? Or is it just my personal paranoia ? ;-))

Soren, could you please tell me, what ATA controller I should buy
to have a smooth migration from SCSI to EIDE ? That would be very kind !

I'd like to make the deal tomorrow if the disk is available ;-))

	Andreas ///

--
Andreas Klemm                                  http://www.FreeBSD.ORG/~andreas
                                     http://www.freebsd.org/~fsmp/SMP/SMP.html