Date:      Sun, 19 Nov 2000 18:57:59 -0800
From:      Mark Diekhans <markd@Kermodei.com>
To:        nate@yogotech.com (Nate Williams)
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PCMCIA modems locking up system under 4.1.1

Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com> writes:
> > Hmm, spoke too soon.  After the modem worked for hours, it lockup
> > up the system twice in a few minutes (on IRQ 7, which I am 99% is
> > not in use).
>
> Ejecting the card, or you had a lockup of the system?  If the latter,
> how do you know the modem caused it?

No, not ejecting the card; but accessing the network over the modem.
I don't know 100%; but I have never had a lockup when the modem was
not in the machine and it generally seems to be associated with some kind
of modem activity.  Other that this, they system is rock solid.

> The modem won't work at all reliably in PIO mode.  The interrupt load is
> difficult enough to keep up with in non-polled mode.  If you polled the
> modem, you'd have so many overflows as to be useless.

Ok; thought it might be an interesting experiment.

> Or, are you talking about the PCIC controller (which generates
> insertion/removal event)?

Hmm, might be a worth while experiment; at least would give me another IRQ to
try.  Is it enabled by setting the PCIC IRQ to 0?

Any other ideas on how to isolate this appreciated.

many thanks,
Mark